If You Own Your Present Home
Contact the utility companies to halt services.
Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
Complete necessary change of address forms:
- Drivers’ license, Health cards, InsuranceEmployer, Doctor, Dentist
- Magazine subscriptions and other mailingsMemberships, insurance
- Bank accounts, credit cards, and Canada Revenue Agency
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Cancel or transfer gardening, dry cleaning, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services.
Helpful Hints for "Out of Town" Moves
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current financial institution to help establish new accounts.
- Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.ious or business affiliations and memberships.